Khao Soi is a delicious and flavorful Thai coconut curry noodle soup made with a variety of aromatic herbs and spices. It is typically made with chicken or beef, but can also be made with tofu or vegetables for a vegetarian option. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make your own Khao Soi at home:
- 8 ounces thin egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic to the saucepan and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the red curry paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar to the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the saucepan and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and green onions.
- To serve, divide the cooked egg noodles among bowls and ladle the Khao Soi over the noodles. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Tips and Variations
- If you prefer a milder soup, reduce the amount of curry paste or omit it altogether.
- For a protein boost, try adding some cooked tofu or your favorite protein to the soup.
- Feel free to add any other vegetables you have on hand, such as bell peppers, carrots, or bok choy.
- If you like your Khao Soi extra spicy, add a few sliced Thai chilies or a spoonful of chili paste to the soup.
Khao Soi is a delicious and aromatic Thai coconut curry noodle soup that is perfect for a spicy and satisfying meal. With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of prep work, you can enjoy the bold flavors of Thailand in the comfort of your own home.